About two months ago I started my own blog and I soon realized how hard can be to get some traffic to your site. You submitted your website to the search engines and finally got indexed, but if your site appears on a 5th ot 10th results page for a specific search, this will not bring a lot of traffic to your site.
Well, bringing some quality traffic to your site is not that hard at the end. By putting some little effort in it I was able to achieve a pagerank of 5 in only one month and that drives pretty much traffic to my blog. My site was also showing in the top ten results on google for some really competitive keywords with millions of total results and I've done all this in weeks!
To drive good traffic to your site, you need to pay attention to two things:
1) Have quality content on your site
2) Have quality links pointing to your site ( or even better if you are able to exchange links )
I can't help you much with your site content, since it depends a lot on your website, but I can give you some advices on how to find good links pointing to your site.
Linking is one of the most important factors in the search engine optimization process. The number and quality of links pointing to your site show how famous your website is and the Google's pagerank is in fact calculated from the links pointing to a page, that's why the pagerank indicates how important a page is. The Pagerank formula is quite simple, the pagerank of a page A is an adjusted sum of the inbound links pointing to page A. And the value of a single outbound link from page B is calculated by dividing the pagerank of page B by the number of outbound links on page B.
Now let's take a look at where you can place links to your site.
1) Public forums - there are many public forums and places for discussion on the internet. Search for forums that you like, take part to the discussion and leave your link under your signiture. Remember to leave some quality posts, if you will just leave links you'll be easily banned.
2) RSS feeds - If you own a blog or you have a RSS feed for syndication on your site, there are dozens of sites that will publish a link to your site or even distribute your content for free.
3) Digg.com - A really high traffic website with links to articles. If you can have a good article linked from Digg, it will drive you tons of traffic.
4) Article exchange - If you are a good writer and have the time to write, you can find hundreds of sites that will publish and distribute your article and they will all link back to your site.
5) Link exchange - If you find some good websites related to yours you can ask the webmaster if he would like to exchange links.
6) Own a blog to promote your site - blogs are so popular today that even bigger business websites are starting their own blogs. A blog can be a really powerful tool for marketing your site. It can attract thousands of fresh, targeted visitors to your site for free and can help you earn a #1 ranking in the search engines, and drive truckloads of highly targeted traffic to your site.
And remember, always look for quality and try to put links on pages with high pageranks.