Cavel is a neighborhood in south Mumbai. It is located to the northeast of Dhobitaloa near the chira Bazaar area. It got its name from the koli word kolwar.the kolis of this village were converted to Christianity by the Portuguese in the 16th century. Cavel thus became a Christian enclave,and later immigrants of this religion, from Goa,Daman,Bassien and Salaette settled here. Two Portuguese churches are built here ,Nossa senhora de saude, built in 1794,presently known as our lady of health, Cavel and Nossa senhora d'ESperance.in later centuries when the Christian population moved north, Gujarati and Marwari moved into cavel.